Johnny's Pages
 
Old S.A.R. Shunter's Memories
 


     

Brief History - South Australian Railways.

Before beginning an outline of the rolling-stock of the South Australian Railways a brief look at the history of the railway system is worthwhile, for only then can one appreciate the reason for the multiple gauges and the need for the diversity of rolling-stock.

The South Australian Railways was created out of the need to transport produce from its source to a suitable destination. In the early years this destination tended to be a port for further transhipment of the produce. This is borne out by the fact that the earliest railways in South Australia were :

The Goolwa to Port Elliot railway. The first public railway in  Australia which was built in the 1850’s and opened on 18th May 1854.  This provided a blue water outlet for the river Murray traffic of wool, wheat, wood, timber and other farm produce. This was further expanded to Victor Harbour and to Milang which at one stage was the busiest river port on the Murray.

The Adelaide to Port Adelaide Railway. The first publicly owned railway in the British Empire. Built in the 1850’s and opened on 19th April 1856.
This transported produce and people to and from Adelaide and the Port.

Adelaide to Kapunda Railway. A broad gauge railway link from Adelaide to Kapunda and subsequently onto Burra, opened in 1870 to transport copper to Port Adelaide.

Port Augusta to Alice Springs railway. This was part of the proposed Great Northern railway, a plan to link Adelaide with Port Darwin. The building of the railway began on Friday 18th of January 1878 and the Pt Augusta to Oodnadatta section opened in 1891. Completion of the line to Alice Springs did not open until 1928. Part of the Great Northern Railway was to be a line from Darwin to Alice Springs but that was only completed as far as Birdum. The purpose of this railway was twofold, firstly political in its endeavor to open up the interior of the continent and secondly to transport farm produce to port. It is significant that the miners had the greatest impact on the parliament in getting the line approved although the mines along the railway were short lived.
Local Lines: The development of a series of narrow gauge lines from ports into the hinterland had occurred, driven mostly by local needs. These lines included:
Beachport to Mt. Gambier
Kingston to Naracoorte
Port Wakefield to Hoyleton
Wallaroo to Snowtown
Port Broughton to Barunga Range
Port Pirie to Yongala
Port Augusta to Hawker

The outcome of this development was that by 1880 the railway system in South Australia consisted of eight separate entities. The working of the South Australian parliament was such that lines were being laid to areas whose parliamentary representatives were given to stronger arguments for the extension of the broad gauge rail system - not necessarily where the need was greatest. To this end, by the turn of the century, the only line not connected to the main broad gauge was the line from Port Broughton. As well as this consolidation several other lines had by this time been built, these included:

Adelaide to Willunga
Adelaide to Spalding
Adelaide to Wilmington
Adelaide to Mt Pleasant
Adelaide to Truro
Adelaide to Robertstown

as well as the links for Adelaide to Melbourne and Peterborough to Cockburn.

The major feature of these links was that most were of broad gauge but the majority of those laid north of Terowie were of narrow gauge. This created a materials handling problem for some 120 years, only being completely rectified with the completion of the ‘Standardisation Project" in 1995.

With this brief outline of the history of the railways in South Australia it can be seen that the rolling-stock used by the railways was a result of a combination of several independent systems, two gauges and the requirements to carry different produce from varying sources.

The produce carried and identified above include wool, wheat, milk and other farm produce, wood, timber and other building materials, and ores and minerals including copper, pyrites, lead concentrate and coal. People, paying passengers as well as railway staff were the other significant load. All of these items required special handling and a type of railway wagon to facilitate the transport of the produce. Each of these types of vehicles had a classification.

The main classifications of rolling-stock were :

Freight Wagons - Broad & Narrow Gauge.

 Wagon Type Class Class Class Class Class Class Class Class Class Class Class Class Class Class Class Class Class Class Class Class Class
 Cattle Vans C CS SC SCB SCC CB CC CD CE CF . . . . . . . . . . .
 Container Flats: FCS FQS RM RMA RO NRN . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 Covered Vans: M MRP MG VC VD . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 Explosive Vans: SE EE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 Hoppers: HS HC HB H HCA SH . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 Insulated Vans: RB RBP RRP R . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 Louvered Vans: DW DWP SLP DS DWR SL D LB LC LD NLB DWF DA . . . . . . .
 Motor Car Carriers: ALP GG GK GN . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 Non Container Flats: FB FBT FBR FBF PFB PFBF SFB FWC RL RLX RF RG NRH RN . . . . . . .
 Open Wagons: W O OWS OB OBR OMB SO SOC OS NGJ NGH GB GD AOGA AOGY OF OBF Y YA X XX
 Sheep Vans: S SBS SB SS SSC SB SC SF . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Freight Wagons: Broad and Standard Gauge (Bogie Exchange Vehicles)

 Wagon Type Class Class Class Class Class Class Class Class
 Container Flats: SFCW FOX FQX SFQX RMX ROX RQX .
 Covered Vans: VEX VFX . . . . . .
 Hoppers: HCX SHCX SHBX . . . . .
 Insulated Vans: RX . . . . . . .
 Louvered Vans: LX SLX LCX LDX LEX . .
 Motor Car Carriers: ALX OAX SAX OMX GCX GNX . .
 Non Container Flats: FBX FPX SFBX SFKX SFWX RGX AQOX .
 Open Wagons: OX ELX SGX SGMX GBX GMX GOX GQX
 Tank Cars STAX STWX . . . . . .

The SAR have no specific coding separation between the items on the narrow gauge system and those on the broad gauge system. 
That is, a Horse Box could be designated a BH on both the narrow and broad gauge systems. 
The Commonwealth Railways separately designated rollingstock on the Standard and narrow gauge systems as will be seen.

Passenger Vehicles: These are identified by class as well as by an alphabetical coding system. This is too extensive to be discussed here.


The Peterborough Railway Division
Railways Institute Magazine 1970

The history of the Railways of Peterborough is really the story of the narrow-gauge railways which constituted the Peterborough Division of the former South Australian Railways. The main line of this division was the ore carrying line from Cockburn to Port Pirie which met the Silverton Tramway Company at the border of New South Wales. There were branches from Peterborough to Quorn and Terowie, and Gladstone to Wilmington.

Peterborough has always been the Headquarters for this system although Peterborough to Terowie (Yongala) is now part of the Adelaide Division 
In the 70's large areas of the northern part of the State of South Australia were being developed for agriculture. Following the success of the 3 ft. 6 in. gauge railway from Port Wakefield to Hoyle's Plains (Hoyleston) the Government decided to build a similar railway from Port Pirie to serve the wheat-growing areas inland. Port Pirie was a small port located on the upper end of Spencer's Gulf. A channel had been dredged to 15 ft at low water so vessels could come alongside the wharves, and Port Pirie appeared to have a promising future as a shipping outlet for the North's cereal crops. The first line was laid down over the 18 miles from Port Pirie to Crystal Brook. Construction commenced in 1874, but strangely enough 15 miles of the earthworks had been completed by the contractor, Mr Bond before the ceremony of turning the first sod was undertaken. This necessity was performed by the Commissioner of Public Works at a brief ceremony at 3.00 p.m. on November 14, 1874. It was hoped that the line would be completed in a short space of time. However, labour was scarce, and the first consignment of wheat from Crystal Brook to Port Pirie did not move over the line until December 1875. The line was opened to traffic on the 10th of that month, but as the locomotives had not yet arrived, loaded goods trucks were gravitated to Port Pirie after receiving a start by horse power. Horses were used to bring the trucks back. A turntable and goods shed were provided at Crystal Brook at the temporary terminus.

On January 13th, 1876, the "Bengal" berthed at Port Pirie with rollingstock on board, and the first locomotive was landed at 4.00 p.m. without mishap. This was the first of four "U" Class engines Nos. 1--4 which were initially allocated to Port Pirie system. The first run made by a locomotive was on January 31 when the first engine proceeded through the town as far as Magarey's Mill, hooked onto two trucks, stopped at How’s Hotel stud, then returned to the railway station, five days later a trial trip was made to Crystal Brook and back. The bridge over the Crystal Brook creek had not been completed and it was not until April 29 that the locomotive was able to run right into the station. In the meantime vast quantities of wheat had been railed from the temporary terminus on the outskirts of the town.

The 14 miles of track from Crystal Brook to Gladstone was constructed under contract by Messrs. Baillie and Marshall. A slow rate of progress was made and the first train did not run into Gladstone until November 9, 1876. The formal opening of the line did not take place until December 7. A train service commenced immediately consisting of one train in each direction daily. The fare for the whole distance was 8 shillings and 6 pence.

In order to provide transport for more of the agricultural areas in the north of the State, a start was made in April, 1877, with the extension of the line a further 19 miles to Jamestown. This work was undertaken as a contract by Mr J. Chapman. By September sufficient of the earthworks had been completed for plate laying to commence, and this was carried out at the rate of 1+1/2 miles per week, until the first Station was opened at Caltowie on Jan19th 1878. By May ballast trains were busily engaged on The Caltowie to Jamestown section and on the 28th of that month the first goods train with 11 wagons steamed into Jamestown, due to the success of the line public rail traffic began on July 15, 1878, without any further ceremony. With the opening of the line to Jamestown two 'W' class engines N06. and 14 were added to the roster. These engines entered service during February 1878. A further extension of this line was now contemplated. 

In the meantime, the 5 ft. 3 in. gauge line from Adelaide to Burra had been extended nearly to Hallett and to the north a contract had just been let for a railway line from Port Augusta to Government Gums (Farina). The Premier, Mr Boucaut had been expounding, since 1874, a Public Works programme which envisaged the linking of all the Isolated railway systems in the State. Part of this programme involved the extension of the Burra line to meet the Port Augusta line with a branch line to Port Pirie. The first surveys were made around about 1876 and fixed Lancelot (now a ghost town) as the point where the broad-gauge from Adelaide would terminate and the narrow-gauge lines to Port Pirie end Port Augusta would broach. 

At this time silver had been discovered by P.Green just over the border in N.S.W. and with the mining of this ore the town of Silverton came into existence. Supplies were carried to Silverton by bullock from the nearest rail-head at Burra, then Hallett and Terowie as the line was extended. Apparently, however, the traffic to Silverton was not considered of sufficiently great importance to turn the railway in this direction and a further survey was made whereby the broad gauge was terminated at Terowie and the narrow-gauge proceeded from there to Port Augusta, with a Junction to Port Pirie in 'Section 216'.
Section 216 was owned by Mr T. H. Koch who had bought the land from Peter Doecke in the previous year. The land was poor and Mr Koch had been trying to sell the land for some time at 1 Pound per acre. As soon as he learnt that this land was to be the location of the railway junction, he sub-divided a portion of his land adjacent to the railway line, and held a sale. On the first day of the sale he made 1,700 Pound on a small portion of the land the whole of which he could not previously sell for 500 Pounds. On the sub-division plan he nominated "Petersburg" as the name of the town in honour of his old friend Peter Doeeke. (The name was changed to Peterborough in 1918 during World War I, when the Government in a frenzy of patriotism eliminated all town names of German origin).
The names of Carell, after a World War I nurse, and Nullya or Nella, after a creek through the town were suggested. However the local populace protested strongly and the name Peterborough was given as a compromise. Construction began in December 1879 of an extension of the Jamestown line to Petersburg. A contract was let to Messrs Moline, Mc’dermot & CO. who made rapid progress. The earthworks were completed to Yongala in the following month and ballasting commenced using 'U' class engine No. 1. This line was usable to Yongala on December lI, 1880, and reached Petersburg on January 17, 1881.

The opening of the Jamestown-Petersburg line coincided with the opening of the Hallett to Terowie line and the Governor with his party made a very hot dusty trip by horse dray from Terowie to Petersberg to open the former line. Another "W" Class engine No24 was added to the system following the opening of this line..

Continuing with its plan to link the Northern and Central railway systems the Government proceeded with the construction of a 3 ft. 6 in. Gauge line from Terowie to Quorn (or Pichi Richi as it was described so picturesquely on all official plans). At Quorn, a Junction would be made with the Government Gums line and at Petersburg a junction would be made with the Port Pirie line.

The contract for the Terowie to Quorn line was split into two Parts, the first part to Petersburg being undertaken by Keane & Co., while the Petersburg to Quorn section was built by C. & E. Millar. Work began at Terowie in February, 1880. The earthworks were generally light except for a short section near Gumbowie and the line was able to be opened to Petersburg on May 11, 1881. There was a little formality in the opening which was carried out by the Treasurer, the Hon.W. B. Rounsevell. With the opening of this line Port Pirie now had a through rail connection with the Capital. 

Meanwhile, construction proceeded on towards Orroroo, which was reached in September 1881. The contractor's engine ran into the Orroroo station yard for the first time on the 28th of that month. Two months later the Governor opened the line formally for traffic. The day marked one of the fastest and longest journeys ever made by train in a single day in the colony. At 6.30 am. on November 22, 1881, the train conveying His Excellency, William Jervois and others left Adelaide bound for Orroroo. Orroroo was reached after travelling 6+1/2 hours and 176 miles. After conducting the opening and partaking of a sumptuous banquet, the party then rejoined the special train at 4 30 p.m. and after travelling a round trip of 261 miles arrived back in Adelaide at 11.00 pm. the trip occupying 12+1/2 hours travelling time. The work on the last link to the north, that between Orroroo and Quorn began in September, 1880, at the Quorn end. By December, 1881, trains were running between Quorn and Eurelia. Here the trains were met by a coach from Orroroo and by this passengers and parcels were conveyed to the rail-head at the latter place. The train service was extended to Walloway, two months later and on March 8, 1882, a rail communication was established between Adelaide and Port Augusta (and also to Beltana). The opening of the Orroroo-Quorn section was combined with the opening of the Port Augusta to Farina railway on May 17, 1882. A 'W' Class engine No. 32 formerly in use on the Beachport and Rivoli Bay railway was sold to C. & E. Miller in September 1880. The engine was used on the construction of the Petersburg-Quorn railway and on completion the engine was re-purchased by the department. In August 1882 two more 'W' class engines Nos. 42 and 43 were placed into service on the system.  

In 1882 'V' Class No. 12 (0-4-2 tank engine) was transferred from Kingston to Port Pirie for shunting on the wharves. This engine had a short wheelbase and was more suited for shunting on the sharp curves leading to the shipping berths. Two of the American 'X' class engines Nos. 46 and 47 were delivered to this system in January and February 1882 and work formally between Terowie and Port Augusta. In 1883, No.47 was transferred to the Great Northern Line. Another 'W' class engine No. 22 was landed at Port Pirie in October 1882, taking the number of previous No.22 which had been sold. Five 'W Class Nos19, 25, 26, 28 and 33 were transferred from the Great Northern Line in 1883. The sole narrow gauge 0-6-4 tank engine No. 52 was sent to Port Pirie in 1883 (when built) but was shortly after transferred to Port Augusta.

In July 1883, after many years of vain promises by various Governments a start was about to be made on the short branch line from Gladstone to Laura. There was a considerable influx of population into this area in the early 1870's. A Commission appointed by Parliament reported in 1874 that a railway was desirable but no action was taken. In desperation, the local inhabitants approached the Government seeking permission to form a private Company to construct and operate a railway through the area. The Government opposed this scheme however, and it fell through, several alternative proposals were put up in the intervening years, including a scheme for a railway from Port Germein to Orroroo, However, a select Committee decided in favour of the Gladstone-Laura railway and the necessary legislation was passed in 1883. As part of the terms of the contract it was stipulated that the line should be completed and open for traffic by January 1884, to handle the harvest, but despite the easy earthworks the 7 Miles of line was not completed by contractors (Messrs. Crocombe, Hat and Co.) until May 1884.
The line was opened to traffic on June 2, 1884. A further five 'W' class engines were added to the roster in 1884, to meet the increasing demands of a rising traffic. These were engines Nos. 21, 27, 41, 54 and 55, The last two having been sold at a special meeting in 1881 to The Batty, Brooks and Fraser Company, for use on the Great Northern Line and had now been repurchased.

CONSTRUCTION  OF  THE  LINE  TO  BROKEN HILL

In 1886, an Act was passed authorising the construction of a line from Petersburg to the New South Wales Border. Initially the terminus was to be at the 145 mile post (along the border), but was altered to terminate at Haliday's dam thus saving 4 miles of line. A contract was let to Messrs  Millar Bros in May 1885 and Millar took over the work from the Government who had commenced the line themselves in April using relief labour.

The type of line originally proposed to be constructed differed materially from the standard previously adopted, it was to be essentially a surface line avoiding heavy earthwork as far as possible by avoiding frequent changes of grade and only bridging over those creeks which absolutely required it.
Wherever it was practicable, creeks or low depressions were to be traversed at the level of the surface, and where floods occurred, which with a limited rainfall, would be very seldom, the traffic would no doubt have had to be temporarily delayed. Ballast was to be dispensed within boxing up as far as possible and the quantity used under the sleepers was to be a minimum.
No intermediate Station were required although sidings would be provided where necessary for wayside traffic The maximum speed anticipated was 15 m.p.h. for passenger trains, and 12 for goods and mixed trains.
Out on Mr Gipps station in NSW a boundary rider Charles Rasp discovered the ore body known as Broken Hill which later came to be known as the World's richest single deposit of silver, lead and zinc. In 1884 a specimen from Broken Hill showed 800 oz. of silver to the ton and by the end of the decade Broken Hill was producing one-third of the worlds silver.
The South Australian Government was not unaware of the goings on at Broken Hill and if "Lady Luck" had turned her back on South Australia by putting Broken Hill across the border it did not go unnoticed that Port Pirie was the nearest port. It was possible that South Australia could share in the wealth of Broken Hill by providing transport, shipping facilities and sending supplies. The specifications for the Petersburg to NSW border railway were severely revised. The standard of construction was raised to the same level as that elsewhere on the Port Pirie system. The additional cost of construction was estimated at 50,000 pounds The 145 miles of track was laid with 41 lb. rail, of which 18 miles was second hand 41 lb rail removed from the Burra-Hallett line which was being relayed with 61 lb. rail.
In the meantime, the Millar Bros were pressing on with the earthworks to the new standards at a very rapid rate. Steam traction engines with steam scoops apparently were being used for the removal of soil. Part of the contract provided that the contractor was to provide facilities for conveying traffic as the rail-head advanced. Paratoo received a rail service on June 1, 1886 and Yunta three weeks later. A service was provided to Mannahill by the middle of August.
Mr. Baxter was in charge-of the line construction between Petersburg  and Cockburn. 'A worse man to swear I have not met', commented one railway employee who crossed his path. At this time, the Teetulpa gold rush was on (Teetulpa is near Yunta). Men of all nationalities would arrive at the 'Burg' and depart via the Contractor's train. The standard fare was one Pound, but on occasions, Mr Baxter would raise it by another 5/-, saying" . . . if these people are going to get rich, I am going to have some of it". If they would not pay, the carriage would be uncoupled and the train would depart without them. But the cries of the passengers would soon pull up the train, the fares would be duly paid and the carriage coupled back on again. 

The tempting lure of gold caused a depletion of the available labour market, and the rate of progress of the line decreased accordingly. Nevertheless, Mingary was reached by the beginning of December and the railhead reached Cockburn by January 2, 1887. During the construction period, the line suffered from washaways during heavy thunderstorms .This disability has remained with the Cockburn Line up to this day. Some very severe washaways have occurred over the years.
In preparation for the South Australian Railways taking over the working of the line a train left Petersburg at 7.00 am on June 10 "for the end of the world".
On board was Mr H. Macarthur, the Traffic Superintendent and staff for working the line. Mr. George Baxter, son of the overseer, was the driver.
The train arrived in Cockburn at 8.00 pm. that night. By this time Cockburn was quite a busy yard due to the traffic developed by the contractor whilst the line was still under construction. There was no goods shed and the goods stood in the open up and down the yard in long lines where they would sometimes stand for weeks waiting for bullock teams to come and collect them.

The first South Australian train left Cockburn at 9.00 pm. on June 11th, 1887, with Mr Macarthur aboard and purely as a formality the line was declared open to public traffic as from June 14, 1887. The track from Petersburg to Cockburn was divided into seven blocks for train working purposes and Spangnolette Block Signal Instruments were in use. W' class engine No. 22 was used by Millars during construction of the line. They also acquired No. 23 to assist but this engine was later exchanged for No. 41. Later two more 'W' class engines No. 21 and 54 were acquired the latter being exchanged for 5 ft. 3 in. gauge No. 60 of class K' which Millars had been using.
It is to be noted that the new line did not reach Broken Hill. This was because the New South Wales Government refused to allow South Australia to build a railway line themselves. Steps were taken to form a private railway company and the outcome of these efforts was the formation of the Silverton Tramway Co: authorised by the Silverton Tramway Act of 1886. The 30 miles of railway linking Broken Hill, Silverton and Cockburn was constructed by C. & E. Miller after completion of the Petersburg to Cockburn section and upon completion of the line, engine No. 22 was sent to Western Australia whilst engines Nos. 21, 41 and 54 were sold back to the South Australian Railways in 1889. Initially the Silverton Tramway Co was worked by the S.A.R. until the company was able to undertake its own operations commencing June 30, Cockburn Line started with one mixed train daily and two goods trains weekly in each direction. So rapidly did the traffic build up that by 1908 there were thirty trains daily in each direction. A number of 'X' class engines were allocated to the system. A new type of locomotive, the class 'Y' was introduced in 1885. No. 63 was allocated in September 1885 followed by five, Nos. 71-75 between September and November 1886. From then on the number of 'Y' class engines on this system built up as the traffic increased.

The industrial development of Port Pirie commenced in 1889 when the first lead smelting plant was erected on land leased from the railways. A wharf adjacent built by the railways was used for shipping the finished product. Four smelters were in operation by the end of 1890. For a short period between 1890 and 1897 smelting was carried out at Broken Hill, but after this date all the smelting was done at Port Pirie.
The system of railways we have been referring to as the Port Pirie system, was named the "Northern System" It was later renamed the Peterborough Division when the divisional headquarters was established at Peterborough with a Divisional Superintendent in charge of all railway matters. The Division was almost completed in the 13 years between 1874 and 1887, but in 1910 the Laura line was extended the 24 miles to Booleroo Centre and in 1915 a further 221 miles to 'Wilmington.
Main events which have occurred since the last piece of the Division fell into place in 1915 were the introduction of the Garratt steam locomotives in 1952 and 1953, introduction of diesels in 1963 and the opening of the standard gauge between Port Pirie and Broken Hill in January 1970 and simultaneously the extension of the broad gauge from Terowie to Peterborough. In the very near future the lines of the Peterborough Division will become part of the Railways system operated by the Australian Government (Australian National Railways) which will give them continuous standardisation of the main line from Broken Hill to Kalgoorlie, appropriately, two of Australia’s Greatest mining cities.

The long awaited change over from Narrow Gauge to Standard Gauge between Port Pirie and Broken Hill and the long awaited (43 years late) arrival of the "Broad Gauge" into Peterborough took place on Monday, January 12, 1970.

PORT  PIRIE  to  BROKEN  HILL  NARROW  GAUGE  PHASE  OUT

Probably the most notable fact of the last of the Port Pirie-Broken Hill line narrow gauge trains was that the last down Limited Mixed to Broken Hill was steam hauled between Peterborough and Cockburn by T.181. This working would be the last regularly scheduled train to be steam hauled in South Australia and undoubtedly the last interstate passenger train in Australia to be steam hauled.  T.181 has been transferred to the Silverton Tramway Co. where it will be used for dismantling their narrow gauge tracks. W.23 and S.T.C. 4-8-2 type steam loco, was handed over to the S.A.R in exchange for T.181.
The last down passenger train to Broken Hill arrived in the Silver City on the morning of Friday, 9th January, 1970, and the last up "express" departed the same evening. Local residents crowded the Sulphide Street  Station of the S.T.C. for this event. The station building was decorated  with coloured lights and the local pipe band was in attendance. When the last train to depart from the station was shunted there, it had to be split into four sections so that level crossings would not be fouled. S.T.C. diesel No.28 hauled the train from Broken Hill to Burns, the rear thirteen vehicles being detached en route at Silverton to be returned to Broken Hill  by T.181. Many S.T.C. employees and Broken Hill dignitaries travelled in these cars. At Burns, S.A.R. diesel No. 840 was attached to the train, and together with No. 28, worked in multiple to Peterborough.
At Mannahill, the last up "express" and the last down "Produce" crossed. This Produce train was the last narrow gauge train to work into Broken Hill. The diesel locomotive and all vehicles in this Produce, together with all S.A.R. narrow gauge rollingstock still in Broken Hill (with the exception of coach No. 390), formed the last narrow gauge train to depart Broken Hill. Hauled by diesel No. 27, this train departed at 10.30 a.m. on Saturday,10th  January, 1970.
At Cockburn, diesel No. 856 was attached ahead of No. 27, and both locomotives worked in multiple to Peterborough where it arrived at approximately 11.30 p.m. Beyer Garratt steam locomotive No. 404 arrived at Peterborough at 7.35 a.m. on Saturday,10th January, hauling the last through narrow gauge train from Port Pirie to Peterborough, and at the same time ending 17 years of "Garratt" power on the S.A.R.

The last train to traverse the narrow gauge section between Gladstone and Peterborough was hauled by diesel No. 857 with a load of 61 tons.
It arrived at Peterborough at 9.00 a.m. that day, closing yet another era in S.A.R. history.

Return to top of page